Our featured recipe this week is Mediterranean Stuffed Eggplant by Chef Aelie Swift of Simply Gourmet. This dish is simple to prepare and is the perfect dish to serve at a lunch party as an appetizer.
Mediterranean Stuffed Eggplant
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Heat skillet with 1 TB of oil over medium-high heat. Add in onion, garlic and ground beef. Cook, breaking up beef until browned. Add in sundried tomatoes, herbs, chili ﬂakes and season with salt and pepper. Lower heat and add in cream cheese. Stir until melted and fully incorporated and then add in lemon juice and zest and pine nuts.
3. Prepare eggplant by scooping out all but 1 inch. Drizzle with remaining oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in a casserole dish and ﬁll each half with beef mixture.
4. Bake covered for approximately 15-20 minutes. Uncover and bake a further 5-8 minutes until eggplant is tender but not too soft.
5. While eggplant is baking prepare dressing. Mix together yogurt, lemon juice, garlic and half of the fresh mint. Season with salt and thin out with 1-2 tsp of water so it is easily drizzled.
6. When eggplant is done, garnish with sauce and ﬁnish with remaining fresh mint. 7. I served mine with a simple cucumber and tomato Greek salad!