Eataly shared with us this tasty Pasta con Crema di Parmigiano Reggiano recipe. In this simple dish featuring just five ingredients, the quality of the Parmigiano Reggiano® DOP makes all the difference. When blended with rich heavy cream and paired with porous, textured rigatoni that pick up the velvety sauce, the result is an elevated version of comfort food that allow the complex, nutty flavours of Parmigiano Reggiano to shine through.
Pasta con Crema di Parmigiano Reggiano
Yield: 2 servings
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano® DOP
- 1/2 pound Rigatoni
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup coarse salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the heavy cream in a small saucepan on stovetop on low heat. The heavy cream should be hot, enough but not boiling, as this will scorch the cream.
2. Add the grated Parmigiano Reggiano DOP to the pot and whisk vigorously to combine, until you get a smooth and consistent batter.
3. Fill a large pot about two-thirds full with water and bring to a boil, then add the salt. Cook the pasta for roughly 8-10 minutes, about two minutes less than the package instructions or just before al dente.
4. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large saucepan.
5. Drain, reserving about ½ cup of the pasta water. Add the pasta to the pan with melted butter and sauté until the pasta is completely coated (add a splash or two of the reserved pasta water to loosen the sauce if needed).
6. To serve, plate a spoonful of the Parmigiano Reggiano cream, then plate the pasta on top of the cream. Garnish with additional grated Parmigiano Reggiano and a healthy grind of black pepper.