Armstrong Cheese shared with us this delicious recipe for Beef-Stuffed Onion Bombs. These savoury delights combine the richness of ground beef, the smoky kick of Armstrong Smoky Spicy Shredded Cheese, and the crispness of bacon, all nestled within layers of sweet, caramelized onions. Perfect for your next barbecue or family gathering, these onion bombs are a mouthwatering twist on a classic favourite, sure to leave your taste buds delighted. With just a bit of prep and some time on the grill, you’ll be savouring these delicious creations in no time.
Beef-Stuffed Onion Bombs
Prep Time: 25 min
Total Time: 1 hr 5 min
- 4 big onions
- 454 g (1 lb) ground beef
- 250 ml (1 cup) breadcrumbs
- 1 beaten egg
- 375 ml (1 ½ cup) Armstrong Smoky Spicy Shredded Cheese
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 8 to 12 slices of bacon
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) BBQ sauce
1. Cut the top and the bottom of the onion off, then cut the onion in half and peel it. Separate the onion in layers to only use the outer, bigger layers (leave 3 layers).
2. Finely chop the rest of the onion and set aside.
3. Mix the meat, the egg, the breadcrumbs, half of the Armstrong Smoky Spicy shredded cheese, and the parsley. Split the beef into 4 meatballs. Make a hole in the middle of each one, incorporate the rest of the cheese, and close them up again.
4. Wrap one-half of the meatball with one layer of onion. Take another layer of onion and wrap the other half. Press together so the onion completely contains the stuffing. Repeat this process for the other 3 onions.
5. Wrap each “bomb” with 2 or 3 slices of bacon.
6. Preheat the BBQ to medium heat. Place the bombs on an aluminium sheet, shut off half the BBQ and cook on indirect heat. Baste the bombs with BBQ sauce, close the lid, and cook for 40 minutes. Baste the bombs a few times throughout.