Chef Matt Basile shared with us this delicious Mushrooms on Toast recipe. Enjoy it as a meal, an appetizer, or as a side dish! This rich, buttery mushroom toast with a poached egg nestled on crisp sourdough bread is sure to please. Serving as the ultimate comfort food, it can be easily personalized using seasonal ingredients and makes for a great addition to your next holiday gathering.
Mushrooms on Toast
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 2 Spanish onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- ¼ cup (60 mL) maple syrup
- ½ cup (125 mL) butter
- 4 cups (1 litre) baby button mushrooms
- ¾ cups (175 mL) Gorgonzola cheese
- 2 lemons, for juice and zest
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (125 mL) white vinegar
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped chives
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
1. Finely chop onions. In a large skillet, add 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter and slowly cook and caramelize onions, stirring occasionally. Slowly pour in the maple syrup, stir and cook until fully reduced.
2. In a separate pan, add in the remaining butter and let it melt. Once melted, add in the mushrooms and cook them on medium-low heat. Once the mushrooms are soft and tender, add in the caramelized onions. Stir in the Gorgonzola cheese, until melted and smooth.
3. Zest lemon into a small bowl and set aside, then juice the lemon into mushroom mix. Stir. The onions and mushrooms can be made the day before, kept in the fridge and reheated before starting to build your dish.
4. For your poached eggs, bring a large pot of water to a boil and add salt. Let the water roll and bubble before adding in white vinegar. Using a spoon, quickly, but carefully, stir the water in a circular motion to create a small cyclone in the water. While the water swirls, crack your egg into the middle of the water and let cook for 5-6 minutes. Tip: Use a perforated spoon to remove the egg. Repeat the same process with the other eggs.
5. Toast your slices of sourdough bread with butter on a skillet.
6. To plate, spoon buttery Gorgonzola mushrooms on the toast. Top with a poached egg, lemon zest, a sprinkle of chopped chives and season with salt and pepper.