Calgary content creator Ian Rivero (aka Iankewks) shared with us this delicious Chicken Adobo recipe. Described as one of the Philippines’ famous dishes, it’s a dish packed with both savoury and sweet flavours!
- 2 -3 lbs bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2.5 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns (or 1/2 tsp ground black pepper)
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 -3 cups of water, just enough to cover the chicken
- Chopped scallions, for garnish
1. In a large bowl, combine together the soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, and peppercorns. Gently stir to combine.
2. Add in the chicken. Be sure they’re evenly submerged/covered in the adobo marinade. Let the chicken marinate for at least 1 hour or overnight (for best results).
3. After marinating, gently pat the chicken pieces dry to remove excess liquid. Sear the chicken on all sides over medium-high heat until the chicken develops a deep, golden brown colour.
4. Pour in the rest of the remaining marinade. Add in the bay leaves and just enough water to partially cover the chicken. Bring to a boil, scoop off any scum that floats to the surface, then let it simmer with a lid over medium-low heat for 30 minutes.
5. After 30 minutes, remove the lid. Turn the heat up to high and begin reducing the adobo sauce until lightly thickened to your desired consistency. Occasionally baste the chicken with the adobo sauce.
6. Serve the adobo chicken with a side of white rice. Top with scallions. Enjoy!