For our latest recipe from a local chef we spoke with Federica Fiorotto from Lina’s Market who sent us this great creation called Uova al Tegamino, a typical dish they usually serve for breakfast.
-two – 14 oz. cans of crushed tomatoes or your favorite tomato sauce
-4 large eggs
-3 Tablespoons (45g) butter
-1 small onion , minced
-3 cloves garlic , minced
-1/4 teaspoon paprika
-1/2 teaspoon salt , or to taste
-1/2 teaspoon sugar
-1/4 cup (60ml) chopped parsley
-additional salt and pepper to taste
-grilled bread or toast (for gluten free serve with gluten free bread)
1. Heat large saucepan on medium heat. Melt butter, then add onions and garlic and cook until soft.
2. Add crushed tomatoes with juices (or tomato sauce), paprika, salt and sugar. Stir till everything is combined well. Bring the sauce to a low boil, then reduce heat to low.
3. Stir in the parsley and simmer the sauce on low heat for about 10 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally.
4. Crack the eggs into the tomato sauce, then cover the pan. Poach the eggs in the sauce for about 5-8 minutes, or until the whites are set and the yolk is still runny. If you want less runny eggs, cook it for longer. Keep checking the eggs to make sure they’re the consistency that you want.
5. Spoon the egg and tomato sauce over toast. Or serve the egg and tomato sauce in a bowl and dip with the toast.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Serve warm.