In 1902, Canadian cheese artisans founded the Armstrong Cheese company. Today, they shared this delicious Sloppy Joe with Cheese recipe with us to try at home. Enjoy!
Sloppy Joe with Cheese
Prep time: 15 min
Total time: 30min
• Italian bread or baguette
• 15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
• 1 chopped onion
• 680 g (1.5 lbs) ground beef
• 160 ml (⅔ cup) ketchup
• 125 ml (½ cup) chili sauce
• 30 ml (2 tbsp) Dijon mustard
• 15 ml (1 tbsp) Worcestershire sauce
• 15 ml (1 tbsp) tomato paste
• Salt and ground pepper
• 375 ml (1 ½ cup) Armstrong Triple Cheddar Shredded Cheese
1. Place the oven grill in the center. Preheat the BBQ to maximum heat, or the oven at 230 °C (450 °F).
2. Cut the bread lengthwise. Grill the bread on the BBQ or place on a baking tray in the oven and cook for 5 minutes. Set aside.
3. In the meantime, heat the oil over medium heat in a pan. Cook the onion for one minute.
4. Add the beef and cook for 4 to 5 minutes while breaking it up into pieces with a wooden spoon until all the meat is browned.
5. Add the ketchup, the chili sauce, the mustard, the Worcestershire sauce, and the tomato paste. Salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and cook for 10 minutes over medium-low heat.
6. Place the meat preparation on one half of the bread. Garnish with Armstrong Triple Cheddar shredded cheese and put back in the oven for another 5 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and separate the Sloppy Joes into portions.