Fork + Farm Catered Events are a catering service looking to change the way you think about catering with their beautifully created and designed menus! They supplied us with this amazing House Cured Bacon and Mushroom Pappardelle recipe that shows us that making pasta isn’t as hard as we think it is!
House Cured Bacon & Mushroom Pappardelle
Yield: 4 Portions
– 280g AP flour
– 2 whole eggs
– 4 egg yolks
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Put your pot of salted water on the stove on medium heat
2. Take your flour container and dump the flour onto your counter
3. Make a little well in the flour (put a hole in the middle of the flour exactly like the picture below)
4. Pour the egg mix into the flour well like the picture below and use a fork mix the eggs
5. As you whisk the eggs, slowly let the flour fall into the eggs and continue mixing until it is nice and thick!
6. Use your hands to fold the rest of the dough all together until combined. Knead the dough for about 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic. Sprinkling some extra flour on the counter or cutting board if needed to prevent sticking or if the dough seems too wet or sticky. (You want the dough to be pretty dry)
7. Form the dough into a ball with your hands, wrap rightly in plastic wrap and let the dough rest for 30 minutes.
8. Roll out the dough. Cut the dough into 4 equal pieces and slip 3 pieces back in the plastic wrap. Flatten the remaining piece into a disk and dust with flour. Using a floured rolling pin, roll the dough as flat as you can. Test for thinness. Continue rolling the dough until you can see your hand through it.
9. Roll the dough into a wide cylinder and then gently cut the dough into noodles of desired width.
10. Dust the noodles with flour and transfer to a tray to rest, repeat steps 8 and 9 for the other 3 quarters of dough.
11. Heat pan and cook mushroom and bacon portion, sauté for 1 minute and then add the cream portion. Reduce it until half the liquid remains and then add one quarter cup of pasta cooking water.
12. Make sure your water is boiling, add your pasta and stir gently. Continue to cook until the pasta is al dente (firm to the bite) strain your noodles.
13. Toss the noodles into the finished sauce and ENJOY! Sauté all of this in a pan with a bit of olive oil and then add the cream mixture. Reduce it until half the liquid remains and then add one quarter cup of pasta cooking water. Add pasta and enjoy!
Cream Sauce Ingredients
– Whole Milk (half litre)
– Cream (half litre)
– Grated Parmesan cheese (1 cup)
– White wine (1/4 cup)
– Lemon Juice (1 TBSP)
– Minced Garlic (2 TBSP)
– Salt (1 TSP)
– Pepper (1 TSP)
– Mushrooms (4 Ounces)
– Bacon (2 Ounces)
– Thyme (1/2 TBSP)
Cream Sauce Directions
1. Sauté garlic on low heat
2. Once the garlic is cooked/fragrant add the white wine
3. Reduce until most of the white wine is gone.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients
5. Bring it up to a simmer
6. Reduce the cream mixture by half stirring occasionally
7. Blend/Puree all of this